Thel organ was constructed in
1899 for Alexandre Guilmant by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll.
It was first located in M. Guilmant mansion (which
doesn't exist anymore), just a few hundred
meters away from its current location. At this
time it had three keyboards and 28 stops.
Bought by Dupré
in 1926, the organ was moved to the 40 boulevard
Anatole France in Meudon. The auditorium was constructed
specifically to host it and richly decorated.
Dupré had Guilmant's organ modified: a
fourth keyboard was added, as well as a very modern
console including a "combinateur", and
one additional octave in the high notes.